[austechwriter] Back In The Saddle Again - slightly OT

  • From: MHT <runfox@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 17:48:29 -0500

Thought you might all enjoy a Monday morning chuckle.

I am sharing with you a little example of a user manual that is my current
project.  I have changed the naming conventions to protect the guilty, but
you will still get the flavor. The following sample text, complete with the
non-note, note, appears frequently throughout the manual:

"The wondrous Widget Admin Distributor Device (WADD) will solve all
administration woes and problems. Note. The Widget Admin Distributor Device
is referred to in this manual as Widget, Widget Device, Widget Distributor,
Capital Admin Distributor, device, distributor, administrative tool, tool,
Waggit and Wingit. From small to major woes, the WADD solves them all.  It
is easily accessed via the simple, user-friendly GUI useable by anyone,
freeing the administrator for more important administrative tasks."

Beyond the bleeding obvious that Notes and Warnings have very specific
protocols that the above does not even closely resemble, it's mighty white
of them to at least warn the reader that they did not feel compelled to
stick with anything that even remotely resembles a naming convention, I
nearly had an E.A. (Embarrassing Accident) the first time that I ran into
it.   I guess even at my ripe old age there is still fertile ground for a
few "first times".

For a little background, this is a six-week contract to make specified
changes only (all of which have been pending well over a year).  Nothing else.
A cautious suggestion (fangs and claws fully retracted) to The Executive
Team Leader that the company might want to consider a manual standard
(beginning with consistent naming conventions), as well as an overhaul of
the text (using active rather than passive voice and simplified English for
a start) was not well received.
However, The Executive Department Director somewhat fancies the idea. This
little drama could prove to be interesting before the final curtain call.

MN Mary (Back in the Saddle Again)

"I will not cut my conscience to fit the fashion of the day"
        --Lillian Hellman