[audio-pals] Re: Where oh Where

  • From: "Josh" <lawdog911@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <audio-pals@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 07:46:59 -0700

I have been meaning to meet one of my professors over at Star Bucks since he
extended the invite a couple of semesters ago. I finally get around to
calling him this past semester and find out he is in Michigan for a semester
teaching at a school up there, but plans to be back this fall. So, I may be
drinking coffee and talking about social psych issues over some Star Bucks
this upcoming semester. With it being on campus the price that you talk
about being over priced goes up even more.

     Talking about school, I have been in discussions with my VR counselor
about grad school. He tells me that they will only cover up to a degree that
will allow me to get an entry level position. That is fine because I
recently found out that there is grant money out there or something that
allows a person on SSDI or SSI to take classes for only 7.00 a semester hour
and majority of the courses are 3 credit hours (the most I have seen is 4
credit hours) so for 21 dollars I can take a class, but that doesn't include
the price of books which there are grants out there for that. The 7.00 a
semester hour is for all degrees including the Ph D.

      He asked me which direction I planned to go as far as degrees are
concerned. I told him I was looking at family and marriage counseling,
behavioral health counseling, mental health counseling any of the three as
long as the degree will allow me to go into private practice. He e-mails me
back and says that he needs to know exactly because the degrees have
different requirements. For him to know this, then he apparently has seen
the requirements some where. So, I responded telling him to lay out the
requirements and I will make a decision. He refused to do this because he
knows that if I pick a particular one based on the requirements he lays out
then he will have to tell me the entry level requirements are a Masters or a
Ph D for certain ones and just about any degree dealing with psychology is
going to require a graduate degree and as a fail safe I included the
"private practice" comment at the end. Because in order to go into private
practice a higher degree is going to be required. The college I am currently
going to only offers from my above response to VR mental health so any other
degree that I may seek from the above response I would have to go to another
school which I am trying to avoid if at all possible. I know I will have to
put my application out there at several schools, but in order to stay at
U.T. or at least have a chance I am going to have to go with the mental
health route. That doesn't bother me in the leat bit because I am equally
interested in family and marriage counseling, behavioral health, and mental
health.I guess some time today I will e-mail him back about my decision so
when he gets back in the office he can take a look.