[audacity4blind] Re: hearing ripped files

  • From: "David R. Sky" <davidsky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 08:03:15 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Bob,

Based on your description, it sounds like you have imported your file but have not played it. In other words, that's two separate steps for Audacity: #1. import then #2 play. And you need to have NO music playing while you select audio and then apply an effect.

If you're talking about something else then you need to explain further. The fact that you can play your files in Winamp or some other program means that you do have audio saved in those files. Audacity does not automatically play a file when you have imported it, you need to specifically tell Audacity to play the file by pressing the space bar, and to stop play hit the space bar again.

David

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006, Robert Smith wrote:

Hello list,

I am not very advanced in this sort of thing, so hope you will be understanding.  I can
rip music from my cassettes; and it then can be played on the computer.  I believe the
default player is winamp.  I have tried to do a little editing by using Audacity, but am
having troubles.  I enter Audacity, choose open, select the file I want, and enter; but
it won't play, although I hear the percentages as it is exported or imported whichever it
is.  This means that I can't make any meaningful use of the Effects menu.  Mostly my
problem that I want to solve is boosting up the volume.  I was told that using
"normalize" might do that; but if you can't hear anything you don't know what's
going on.  Can anyone tell me in simple language what's going on, or what needs changing?
 Thanks!

Bob S.

The audacity4blind website is at
http://users.northlc.com/sberry/