[audacity4blind] Re: device settings and track settings

  • From: Gale Andrews <gale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 02:12:41 GMT

| From Brad Erhardt <brad.erhardt@xxxxxxxxx>
| Wed, 8 Jan 2014 11:08:08 -0800
| Subject: [audacity4blind] device settings and track settings
> Hi everyone, I have a question which I need your help on. I just found out
> that
> there are  controls in the toolbar section under device, which set your
> input and output devices. This part I was previously familiar with,
> however I also found out that there is a setting on input that offers
> one channel mono, or 2 channels stereo.
>
> There is also the track setting in the tracks menu when you select new track,
> mono or stereo. Is this duplicated or is there some way in which these
> two sets of controls work with each other. I assume I can't make new
> track stereo and yet record with mono input etc.

Tracks > Add New does not interact with the choice of mono or
stereo input channels.

If you add a new track (mono or stereo) you would have to
append-record in order to record into that new track.

If you append-record to a stereo track while recording channels
is set to 1 (mono) then the resultant recording will be "dual mono"
for practical purposes - that is, the left and right channel will be
virtually identical.

If you append-record to a mono track while recording channels
is set to 2 (stereo) then what happens depends on your sound
device. Typically a built-in sound device will give you a mono mix
of the stereo sound, but more upmarket sound cards or interfaces
will probably only give you the left channel of what you were
recording.

If you mismatch your recording channels choice with the number
of channels the input is sending, you may receive "Error opening
sound device".

Somewhat related - if you choose a Generate menu item (such
as Chirp) when there are no selected tracks, the generated
track is always mono, even if your recording channels choice is
set to 2 (stereo) channels.