[audacity4blind] Re: Separating instruments

  • From: Gale Andrews <gale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 02:24:09 GMT

| From Louise May Fami <may.fami@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
| Wed, 8 Jan 2014 11:43:04 +0800 (SGT)
| Subject: [audacity4blind] Separating instruments
> Aside from mixing, I also want to learn how to separate each
> instrument in a track. I want to learn how to do that correctly. Please
> share.

This can't actually be done in any automatic way if you only have
the mixed down track. It would be like getting the egg yolk back
after you made scrambled eggs.

The most often attempted separation is isolating (or removing)
vocals. This can be done sometimes if the vocals are panned to
centre in a stereo track but no stereo reverb has been added.

If only an instrument is centred such as the drums, you can
sometimes remove or isolate the drums.

You will normally expect distortions if you remove or isolate the
centre.

This page in the Manual has some information about the issues:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/tutorial_vocal_removal_and_isolation.html .

Robert has written a tool that can perform centre removal or
isolation:
http://forum.audacityteam.org/download/file.php?id=8098 .