[audacity4blind] Re: amplitude and time line

  • From: David Bailes <david_bailes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 14:58:17 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Steve,
I was wondering whether it might be simpler just to have a single dialog box.
Assume that the users are only interested in say 1 decimal place, and just say
what the peak value or values are. Probably just in db would be ok, maybe.

 Subject: [audacity4blind] Re: amplitude and time line
 To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Date: Wednesday, 20 November, 2013, 23:06

 As there has been no feedback, I'm
 wondering if perhaps the plug-in is
 not useful, or if you were not able to download it, or not
 able to
 install it, or just couldn't be bothered to reply. If it
 needs some
 changes to be useful then I'm happy to modify it, but
 without some
 feedback I've no way of knowing what, if anything, needs to
 be
 changed.

 I'm guessing that the "Amplify Effect" work-around was
 sufficient for
 the task and that a separate Analyze tool is unnecessary. If
 that's
 the case, could someone let me know and I'll not bother
 uploading it
 to the wiki.

 Steve

 On 7 November 2013 15:35, Steve the Fiddle <stevethefiddle@xxxxxxxxx>
 wrote:
 > Hi all,
 > This question seems to be quite regularly, so I've
 written a plug-in
 > to address the issue.
 > It is a simple "Analyze" plug-in which, when installed,
 appears as
 > "Amplitude..." in the "Analyze" menu.
 >
 > The plug-in, with full instructions for installation
 and usage, is
 > available on the Audacity help forum here:
 > http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?p=227943#p227943
 >
 > Please let me know if you find this useful, or if you
 have any
 > problems with it, or if you think it could be modified
 to be more
 > useful.
 >
 > There is also a plug-in available on the wiki called
 "Peak Finder"
 > that will create a label at the point where the highest
 peak is found.
 > The label text shows the peak level in dB. This plug-in
 is supposed to
 > be able to produce labels for multiple peaks if there
 is more than one
 > at the maximum level, but in practice this rarely
 occurs, unless the
 > audio is clipped at 0 dB. "Peak Finder" is available
 here:
 > http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Nyquist_Analyze_Plug-ins#Peak_Finder
 >
 > Steve
 >

 > On 7 November 2013 12:29, David Bailes <david_bailes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote:
 >> Hi Brad,
 >> to find the peak amplitude in a track, you can use
 the amplify effect dialog.
 >> 1. Select the audio in the track. (select the
 track, and then press j followed by shift+k).
 >> 2. Open the amplify effect on the effect menu.
 >> 3. When this opens, then the value in the amplitude
 (db) edit box show the amount of amplification needed so
 that the peak value would be maximum (0 db). So if it was
 15, then the peak in the track is 15db below maximum.
 >> 4. press esc to close the dialog without applying
 the effect.

 >> Reading the timeline:
 >> you can read the position of the cursor/selection
 start by pressing left bracket when there's no playback. A
 dialog opens which give the time.
 >> Similarly you can read the end of a selection by
 pressing right bracket when there's no playback.

 >> You appear to be using an old version of audacity,
 that is 1.3.14 alpha. Is there any reason why you're not
 using the current version (2.0.5)?. As far as I'm aware this
 should be ok on a mac.

 wrote:

 >>  Subject: [audacity4blind] amplitude and time
 line
 >>  To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 >>  Date: Tuesday, 5 November, 2013, 1:33
 >>
 >>  Hello all again,
 >>  does anyone know if it is possible for us
 blinkers, :-)
 >>  Visually impaired or blind people, to know
 the peak
 >>  amplitude for an existing track. Also is
 there a way to read
 >>  the time line. I believe Audacity shows these
 things
 >>  visually.
 >>  I am using Audacity 1.3.14
 >>  alpha on a macintosh system running OS X
 >>  lion.
 >>  TTFN,
 >>
 >>  Brad
 >>  Erhardtbrad.erhardt@xxxxxxxxx
 >>

 >> The audacity4blind web site is at
 >> //www.freelists.org/webpage/audacity4blind
 >>
 >> Subscribe and unsubscribe information, message
 archives,