[audacity4blind] Re: a few issues

  • From: David Bailes <david_bailes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 12:27:28 +0100 (BST)

Hi Egbert,
given that you've using a mac, are you using one of the recent nightly builds
of audacity which are more accessible? They're available here:
http://audacity.homerow.net/index.php?dir=mac/&sort=date&order=desc ;

Just download the most recent build.
Also, if you haven't already come across it, there's a Jaws guide to Audacity
available here:
http://goo.gl/dQ75G

Although written for the Jaws screen reader, and for windows, most of the guide
should still be relevant.
Answering a couple of points that you raise:
Finding the length of the audio in a track. If you move the cursor to the end
of the track, you can then read the cursor position, which will give you the
length of the track.
1. If there's only a single track, then press end to move to the end of all the
audio.
2. If there's more than one track, select the track that you're interested in,
and make sure the other tracks are unselected. Then press k to move to the end
of the audio in the selected tracks.
3. One way of reading the cursor position is to move to the selection bar by
pressing ctrl+f6 (I think it's cmd+f6 on  a mac), and then tabbing to the
selection start control. If no time range is selected, then the value of the
selection start control is the cursor position. Press ctrl/cmd +f6 twice to
return to the track table. Another way of reading the cursor position is to
press [. When there's no playback, this opens a selection start dialog, which
contains the cursor position.
Reading the cursor position is covered in the moving the cursor section of the
jaws guide.

Inserting silence.
In the Jaws guide, in the basic editing section section, there's a sub-section
on insert silence.
To insert silence at the cursor position:
1. Choose silence on the generate menu. A silence generator dialog opens.
2. The dialog contains a spin box control like the spin box controls on the
selection bar for setting the length of the silence you want. Unfortunately it
always opens in the seconds format, and doesn't remember the last format that
you set. You'll probably what to change the format, which you can do from its
context menu (application key on windows, not sure about mac), where you could
choose hh:mm:ss + hundredths.
3. Note that in initial focus is the first non zero digit (on the selection bar
it's the first digit). You can set the time either by typing in digits, or
incrementing or decrementing the time in units of the focused digit by using up
arrow or down arrow respectively. For example, if the format is
hh:mm:ss + hundredths, then you could set the time of 1.5 seconds by pressing
home to move to the first of the 8 digits, and then typing the digits:
0,0,0,0,0,1,5,0. There are obviously quicker alternative ways.
4. press the ok button.

There are other users on this list using a mac who may be able to give you
additions assistance,