[audacity4blind] Re: Removing noice

  • From: "Robbie" <tickleberryfun@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 08:29:18 +0200

Hi May!
So you know about getting the noise profile first. Next you select the whole
track by pressing j, followed by shift-k. Then you apply the effect. There
are several parameters to tweak it, but to begin with play around with the
first one. You can enter the amount of dB you want the noise to be reduced
by. Enter a higher value and check if that produces a better result. If you
find that the passages you want to keep sound a bit choppy, try increasing
the attack/decay time a little.
However, since you mentioned another radio station in the background, the
noise you want to remove is likely a similar frequency range as the program
in the foreground. If both are speech for instance, it will be difficult to
remove one without effecting the other. Noise Removal works best if there is
some constant noise like a hiss or a buzz whose range can be accurately
calculated and filtered out. With a dynamic sound such as speech or music,
it's not so easy.

Cheers, Robbie