[audacity4blind] Re: Removing Noise From a Recording

  • From: "Gene" <gsasner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 09:15:55 -0500

Here are two suggestions.  I don't claim to be an expert or anywhere near
one but one or both of these suggestions may solve your problem.  Try to
get a microphone from a vendor with a good return policy in case you need
to try other microphones.

If high quality microphones of this type are available, use one that is
suspended close to your mouth on a headphone-like frame.  The microphone
will be set at a lower recording volume because it is much closer to your
mouth and extraneous soft sounds such as you are describing may not be
picked up.  Also, if you are not using a recording studio, using such a
microphone may reduce audio effects that may be caused  by the room you
are recording in such as a possible slight reverberation or hollow effect.

Other list members who know a lot more about microphones may have better
suggestions.  Perhaps a very directional mike, not suspended near your
mouth, might be a better option but the point is that to solve the
problems you are discussing, you need to do so at the microphone; this is
not a recording program problem.

Gene