[audacity4blind] Re: Removing Noise From a Recording

  • From: Steve the Fiddle <stevethefiddle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 15:38:02 +0100

Suspending the microphone is a good idea, though unless it is a very
lightweight microphone it should not be suspended by the lead.
The other thing that you need to be careful of when suspending a
microphone is to ensure that it is perfectly still and not swinging.

An ideal solution is a wall mounted boom that has a microphone
"suspension mount" at the end. Route the microphone cable along the
boom (cable ties or velcro can be used).

To avoid blowing on a microphone if you are using it close up, use a
"pop shield". These can be bought for under $20, or can be made from a
wire coat-hanger with two layers of thin fabric over the wire frame
(such as ladies tights/stockings). The pop shield goes between your
face and the microphone - they are also useful for checking your head
position without needing to touch the microphone.

A headset mic is another option, but these tend to be less good sound
quality than a recording microphone unless you pay a great deal of
money.

Steve