[audacity4blind] Re: Recording Delay

  • From: Brad Erhardt <brad.erhardt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2014 18:06:34 -0800

Hi Loto, I am happy for you that you have discovered Audacity. Indeed it does
have a lot of abilities and at first it can seem daunting. There are ways to
learn what you need to know though. First of all, about recording and the
delay. Depending on your set up with your microphone and headset there are
things that can cause a delay. My experience is that I have a USB headset, a
USB microphone, and a regular headset using a 1/8th inch jack. Now if I plug my
USB headset in and my USB microphone, there may be a delay, but if instead I
plug in my USB microphone and use the headset with the 1/8 inch jack plugged
directly into the microphone then there is less likely to be a delay.

There are two other options with Audacity that can be useful. When I have my
headset plugged into the microphone then You can turn on hardware playthrough
in your settings. This lets you hear yourself as you sing. As an alternative
there is a software playthrough in the menus but I believe this is more likely
to cause delay.

Also Audacity has a sound activated recording option so it won't start
recording until you speak or sing. This may take a little setting up though.

I am new to sound editing myself but I have found Audacity a delight to work
with. Here is a link to a website with a great amount of helpful information on
working with Audacity. I hope this helps,

The lord bless you and yours also!

http://vip.chowo.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/jaws/Audacity-2.0.5-Guide.html

On 2014-02-05, at 9:36 PM, Loto Lealaimatafao wrote:

> Hi,
> My name is Loto and I pray this finds you all well. I have used audacity now
> for a couple of months. Honestly my usage of this program is very minimal. It
> seems pretty intimidating considering all it can do. Which I assume requires
> a lot of skill. I am illiterate when it comes to editing but have some
> experience recording. The extent of my recording experience is I perform into
> the mic and someone else records and edits. I was really happy to find
> audacity because I've been wanting to do projects on my own before I actually
> go to a studio for a more professional finish. However here is my first of
> many problems. Whenever I try to record live vocals I get a delay. This only
> happens though when I have the mike playing back in my headphones live while
> recording. However when I mute the mike from my headphones The delay is very
> very small but just enough to be noticeable. This is how I've been recording
> my projects and frankly it's more of a chore then engaging something I'm
> passionate about. Please help. Thanks. while recording live there is no
> delay. Love and Lord bless you and yours,
> Loto
> Sent from my iPhone

Brad Erhardt
brad.erhardt@xxxxxxxxx