[audacity4blind] Re: Reading and Recording

  • From: Sandra Gayer <sandragayer7@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 16:28:09 +0000

Hello Michelle,
I work in Radio and Voiceover too. I use my Braillenote although I
prefer hard copy Braille because I can read with both hands properly
without moving lines with a thumb. Anyway, both are fine for the
radio. If producers are worried about the sound, practise using your
Braillenote during the levels check and they'll soon see visually that
it doesn't count.

Is there going to be any music behind your voice? You can get away
with anything if this is the case!

Just a quick story. I recorded my voicereel in a studio a few years
ago with two producers. One insisted I memorise the scripts as you
could hear my hands move across the Braille copy and, apparently, this
would put off employers and agents. The other producer said not to
worry about it, she was over reacting, and the sound team could just
reduce the sound with gates and or music if it became too noticeable.
Anyway, fast forward to 2014 and I have an agent, I present on
national radio, I narrate commercial audio books and I produce
voiceovers. Sometimes, sighted people think they know everything. They
see with their eyes but there's no thought behind them.

Michelle, I wish you all the best with this recording project and I
hope it leeds to many more.
Sandra.

Soprano Singer
 www.sandragayer.com