[audacity4blind] Re: Opening MP3-files on Mac fails too often

  • From: Gale Andrews <gale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 01:27:15 +0100

| From Thomas Byskov Dalgaard <tbd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
| Mon, 9 Sep 2013 22:23:25 +0200
| Subject: [audacity4blind] Opening MP3-files on Mac fails too often
> Just upgraded to the latest version, and noticed something on my Mac desktop:
> Almost every time I want to open a very short MP3-file Audacity quits,
> without any error message. I've only managed to open a MP3 once this
> evening.
> If there is a workaround I'll be happy to hear it. :)

Hi Thomas,

It is a problem with Audacity reading accented characters in file
and folder names on Mac OS X.  It does not affect Windows.

Mac should put up a crash report when Audacity crashes.

There is no very good fix at the moment, other than to use only
a to z (Latin) characters and numbers in file and folder names.
This may be difficult if you want to work in Danish.

Using File > Import > Audio instead of File > Open may help
slightly.

If you were using a 2.0.x version of Audacity before with
Danish file names but not having crashes, then 2.0.4 may
crash frequently - it varies from machine to machine.

If 2.0.4 is unusable, please try the following build instead and
report back on whether it helps:
http://www.gaclrecords.org.uk/test-builds/audacity-macosx-ub-no-import-log-2.0.5-alpha.zip
 .

It's only a temporary fix (not the correct one) but it may keep
you going for now.