[audacity4blind] Re: getting and Error.

  • From: Gale Andrews <gale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 01:41:34 +0100

| From Matt Turner <meturner2214@xxxxxxxxx>
| Mon, 09 Sep 2013 18:06:51 -0400
| Subject: [audacity4blind] getting and Error.
> Hay there, I'm getting a error when trying to use the new
> WDM-KS audio interface
>
> I'm using 2 sound cards, i've got speech from NVDA going to my
> computer, and have audacity set to use my USB sound card.
>
> When i import a mp3 file just to test, i get the following.
> ErrorError while opening sound device. Please check the
> output device settings and the project sample rate.

Thanks for the report. What version of Windows are you using?

Assuming you are setting a sensible project rate like 44100 Hz
(first box in Selection Toolbar) then there may not be much you
can do.

WDM-KS support was released in the knowledge that it may not
be fully compatible with all sound cards. You can read about
these issues (and issues with Windows WASAPI) here:
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Release_Notes_2.0.4#Playback_and_Recording .

The only other thing to note is that if the USB sound card
has sample rate settings on the device itself (or if it has its
own Control Panel for such settings), then it would help to set
those to the same rate as the Audacity Project Rate.

Changing the rate in Windows probably won't make any
difference (it is not meant to make any difference under
WDM-KS).

Hopefully we can update the PortAudio version we are using
in the next month or so which may help with some of these
problems. Meantime, use MME or Windows DirectSound
instead if there are issues with WDM-KS.

Gale