[audacity4blind] Re: Moving the cursor in Audacity

  • From: David Bailes <david_bailes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 08:40:21 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Andrew,
I had a look at the documentation for verbosity in the voiceover utilities, and
found this for the hints tab:
Option:
When an item has a help tag
From the pop-up menu, choose how you want to hear the descriptions (called
“help tags” or “tooltips”) that are displayed when the pointer rests briefly
over an item: Do Nothing, Speak Notification, Speak Help Tag (the default
setting).

Can this be used to turn off tool-tips?

This is the documentation:
https://www.apple.com/voiceover/info/guide/_1126.html

David.

On Tuesday, 1 December 2015, 6:19, Andrew Downie <access_tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Hi Thomas

In my recent ramblings about moving the cursor I forgot to respond to
your issue with VoiceOver incessantly announcing that you can change
format. I am fairly certain that you can't stop this altogether, but
you can make it far less intrusive. From VoiceOver Utilities, go to
Verbosity and select the Hints Tab. There you can adjust how long
before VoiceOver announces the hint up to a maximum of 10 seconds. As
David mentioned, it is a tooltip type feature built in to this and many
other applications. It nearly drove me to distraction until I adjusted
the setting.

Andrew

On 26/11/2015 3:27 AM, Thomas Byskov Dalgaard wrote:

Hi!
I read the guide about Audacity that David Bailes has written, and tried to
follow along.
I experience something quite interesting when I move the cursor to a certain
spot in the track with shift+a.
I can do my edit, but when I want to go backwards (for example to the start
of the track) the focus of the cursor isn’t going back to the 0 time range
even when the home key is pressed. I guess there is a good explanation on
this, but I can’t figure it out myself.

Another thing is the selection edit spin boxes. On OS X these can only be
read by pressing voiceover-keys plus the shift key and the left/right arrow
keys. When I do this Voiceover repeats a hint telling me, that I can open
the contextmenu to change the format of the timesetting in the box.

I’m using the latest official version of Audacity on my Mac running OS X
10.11.2.

Best regards Thomas