[audacity4blind] Re: Moving the cursor in Audacity

  • From: Andrew Downie <access_tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 20:41:17 +1100

Hi Mac users

I checked out use of the Home Key on a Macbook Air with Audacity 1.1.0 and it works as advertised. I played a section of audio and stopped with shift-a. Pressing Home returned me to the beginning. On the Air Function-key and left-arrow equals Home.

One point of clarification. Home returns you to the start of the project, whereas j takes you to the beginning of the track. This is often the same, but is not necessarily the case if you have various tracks starting at different times. The same distinction applies to End and k. For the inexperienced, here is some further confusion. If you record some audio, listen to it and stop at - say - 15 seconds with shift-a and then start recording again, the second track will start at 15 seconds.

Andrew

On 27/11/2015 3:09 PM, Maria Chapman wrote:

HI I am a mac user as well. I have just begun with audacity though. any
info you manage to find out would be appreciated.

Maria

On 27 Nov 2015, at 5:41 am, David Bailes <david_bailes@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Thomas,
I've no idea why pressing Home isn't taking you to time zero. Unfortunately I
haven't got a mac immediately to hand, so can't try this.

Concerning the repeated hint that you can open a context menu to change the
format. This information is in a tool tip which appears. I'm not very familiar
with VoiceOver, but there may be a verbosity setting somewhere which allows you
to control whether tool tips are read.

David.

On Wednesday, 25 November 2015, 16:27, Thomas Byskov Dalgaard
<tbd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi!
I read the guide about Audacity that David Bailes has written, and tried to
follow along.
I experience something quite interesting when I move the cursor to a certain
spot in the track with shift+a.
I can do my edit, but when I want to go backwards (for example to the start of
the track) the focus of the cursor isn’t going back to the 0 time range even
when the home key is pressed. I guess there is a good explanation on this, but
I can’t figure it out myself.

Another thing is the selection edit spin boxes. On OS X these can only be read
by pressing voiceover-keys plus the shift key and the left/right arrow keys.
When I do this Voiceover repeats a hint telling me, that I can open the
contextmenu to change the format of the timesetting in the box.

I’m using the latest official version of Audacity on my Mac running OS X
10.11.2.

Best regards Thomas