[audacity4blind] Re: Latency Correction

  • From: Gale Andrews <gale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 19:06:07 +0100

| From Vasundhara Raturi <vasundhara.raturi.97@xxxxxxxxx>
| Thu, 28 Jun 2012 16:46:39 +0300
| Subject: Latency Correction
> As suggested by you, I opened the windows task manager and read the
> status using the JAWS key command. It was surely not close enough to
> 100% which was a matter of concern for me. I attempted to stop all
> open programs and with that, I get to about 84% as the maximum value.
> The results, however are still not satisfactory. I cleared my recycle
> bin and other misalaneous items from the computer thinking they might
> be creating obstacles, but that did not work either. Shall I reinstall
> audacity after uninstalling it? I would be greatful for any help
> regarding this matter.

The objective is to get the CPU use as low as possible. If CPU use
is at 80%-100% this could be why you are having skips in the
recording. It should not be at 80% if you have closed most
programs.

The CPU column in Task Manager should say what program is using
all that CPU.

You can also read these tips for preventing skips:
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Managing_Computer_Resources_and_Drivers .

The "Latency correction" setting in Audacity has nothing to do
with skips. That correction just moves a track leftwards after
recording, if you were making an overdub recording.

If you are having skips when recording, it is possible that increasing
the "Audio to buffer" setting may help, but you should read all the
tips in the link above as well.

Gale