[audacity4blind] Re: Editing only one of two tracks

  • From: Steven <mysticranger@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 16:49:16 +0100

@Marlon:

Thanks for the example. That clarified a few things. I always thought, that every track I have in a project, is seperate from each other, as long as you don't mix them.

@Andrew:

You are right. I don't need to synclock my tracks. After having worked on a few files today, and having established at least some kind of workflow, I can see, why it is better, to have only one cursor, that moves through all tracks at the same time.

I have another question though. When I want to export my track into an MP3-File, there is a point in the "Export" submenu, that is called "Export selected audio". Or something like that. Not sure, what exactly it is called in the english version. Can I use that, to export only speciffic tracks? If yes, do I need to select the track in some kind of special way? Just selecting them with enter, doesn't seem to work. For me, that item is always dim...

Am 16.06.2020 um 11:47 schrieb Marlon Brandão de Sousa:

Steven,

The markers do not apply to one, two or zero tracks. Markers do not apply to tracks.

Markers specify in the project time range a point in time called start and a point in time called end.

The selected tracks that are selected (the term selected is dubious here so think about them as turned on or off) are affected by operations within the limits given by start and end.

If I have three tracks:

1 starts at 1 second and ends at 6 seconds.

2 starts at 2 seconds and ends at 5 seconds.

3 starts at 4 seconds and ends at 10 seconds.

if markers are at 7 and 9 seconds, then if you say apply echo:

1- if track 3 is turned on then it will get echo between 7 and 9 seconds.

2 if track 3 is turned off then nothing will happen, independently from the state of tracks 1 and 2 because both end before 7 seconds.

Now, let's put the markers at 2 and 4 seconds.

1- if track 1 is turned on them it will have echo from 2 to 4 seconds.

2- if track 2 is turned on, it will have echo between 2 and 4 seconds.

3- if either track 1 or track 2 are turned off then the echo won't apply to the ones which are turned off.

4- This way, if both 1 and 2 are turned off then nothing will happen.

5- It doesn't matter if track 3 is turned on or off it will get untouched because it starts after the end marker.

So any operation happens in tracks that exist or that have audio between the start and end markers and that are turned on.

On 16/06/2020 01:26, Steven wrote:
@Marlon:
I guess, you are right, and I will get used to it. I think, it just confused me a bit, that the cursor moves through all the tracks, even though, setting markers only counts for the one, that is currently selected.

@Robert:

I have the original track synclocked now. BTW, the description track is basicaly identical with the original audio, only with the aditional description added. That's why it is important, that only the original track stays synclocked. Although I think, I missunderstood the term, and what it means. What I wanted was, that the original track always starts playing from the beginning, when I play the two different tracks. The ideaa was, to align the description track in a way, that it will start at the exact same time with the original. My original mail might have been a bit confusing with that...

Steven

Am 15.06.2020 um 12:31 schrieb Marlon Brandão de Sousa:
     Well as far as I know the start / end markers and the cursor are single units that are not aware of tracks and run through the absolute project time range that is from 0 to the the end of the track that ends the last.

I am not aware of the existence of multiple cursors and pairs of markers and although I can see very good reasons to have them I guess for blind people this would end up being extremely confusing and dangerous at the end of the day.

By selecting tracks and using j and k keys you can easily move the cursor to very well defined times on your project and placing the markers where the cursor is can be performed by pressing [ and ] keys while no audio is playing.

You just get used to that.

On 15/06/2020 06:23, Steven wrote:
Hi Andrew,

Sorry for the confusion. I imported the two tracks.

I just tried, deleting something from one of my two tracks. That worked fine. The other track stayed untouched. I guess, what confused me was, that, everytime, I moved the marker to select something, it moved to that position in both tracks. No matter, if they are both selected or not.

None of the two tracks are synclocked. I only know, how to synclock all tracks at once. Is there a way, to only lock one track at a time?

Thanks

Steven

Am 15.06.2020 um 09:06 schrieb Andrew Downie:
Hi Steven
Firstly, I suggest that you import both files rather than opening them if you did not do that.  Secondly, the only way I can think of to get the behaviour your describe is to apply synclock to the tracks.  You would know if that had happened because the screen reader would report that tracks are synclocked as you arrow up and down.
Are you finding that when you - say - delete something from the first track that the same amount of material is deleted from the second track or is it that when you play the selected audio that both tracks play?  If information is being deleted from the second track, something weird is happening.  If, however, the section of both tracks play, that is normal.
Keep us posted as to progress.

Andrew