[audacity4blind] Cassettes to MP3...

  • From: "Billy Littlejohn" <blittlejohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 18:03:09 -0500

Hey, Guys!

Okay, first, let me apologize for not doing my homework, before bugging all of you with this question... shame on me! I am trying to use Audacity (version 1.3 beta) to convert some of my cassettes to MP3, and later, maybe even CD. I chose new stereo track from the project menu, and began recording, only to find that my computer kind of bogs down, and of course, the recording sounds the same way upon listening to it.

I have a 3 Gig processor, with very little running in the background, so I am doubtful that it is too much for the processor to handle. Also, I am hearing the recorded signal, in addition to the source signal... back in my day, you could distinguish between listening to the source signal, or the record head volume containing the signal being recorded in real time, which of course, you did, if you were doing over dubs. I am hearing both signals, which is driving me crazy! I remember making a change to some menu items to be able to hear both tracks being played, so that over dubs could be done, but for the life of me, I don't remember where that menu item is located. I am thinking that is the problem in a nutshell, because obviously, the processor is having to process both signals simultaneously. I am betting that is a lot of data to sort in just a few seconds at a time.

I am sure that there is a logical explanation, but I am just too session weary at this point to investigate. Have any of you converted your cassettes to CD or MP3? Any advice for a worn out warrior? Hmm?

   Thanks in advance!

Billy

Billy Littlejohn
Phone: 901-624-0202
Email: BLittlejohn (at) midsouth.rr.com
"Every offer I make is a 'blind' offer!"

seeing people towards them."
-- Helen Keller, 1925

The audacity4blind website is at
http://users.northlc.com/sberry/