[audacity4blind] Re: Adding audio to a file that has been saved

  • From: Greg Rhodes <gkrhodes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 19:00:23 -0600

Andrew, I watched your demos on YouTube and they were excellent. I'm having trouble, however, with a few of the keyboard shortcuts. I can use the right arrow key to move in very small increments through a recording. I thought I could use Shift/A to move in larger increments but that is not working for me. I'm also not having luck using the "k" key to move to the end of my audio file. And third and final (for now), there are times, maybe after I've been in the lower section on the Audacity window, that I hear which buttons are turned on/off when I press the arrow keys. For example, I hear "Select" on. I thought these would act like radio buttons and I could press the Spacebar to turn them on/off. That doesn't work. Suggestions? Thanks to all for help.

GregSent from my iPhone

On Jan 8, 2023, at 4:17 PM, Andrew Downie <access_tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Greg

I will expand a little on Bob's response.  As Bob said, pressing r will start recording.  Pressing r again will recommence recording from the end of the currently selected track.

You mentioned that you saved the file.  Did you save as an Audacity project or export, for example, to a wav or mp3 file?  I strongly suggest saving as an Audacity project while working on the material.

If you have not discovered it already, this Guide to Audacity written by David Bales for screen reader users is a great resource.  If you want some audio tutorials on using Audacity, I have done several on this page.  Filenames are reasonably meaningful.

And do not hesitate to ask questions here as issues arise.

Andrew