[atari7800] Re: Test..

  • From: Adam Thornton <adam@xxxxxxx>
  • To: atari7800@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 09:52:04 -0600

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 09:40:10AM -0600, Lance Wessel wrote:
> Have you actually tinkered with coding anything for the Atari 2600?  I've
> only went as far as to read through the machine/assembler command codes
> list, various techniques which were used, reading of actual code, and
> other documentation available online.

I have.

It's cartridge ID 2023 on atariage.com (I think, and it's blocked from
work, so can't easily check).  The Fellowship of the Rings text
adventure.

Admittedly, I cheated--I used Greg Troutman's _Dark Mage_ as a starting
point, so I didn't have to write the display kernel, which is certainly
the hardest part, and so I could just focus on the game logic and text.

It's a delightfully weird system.

I absolutely recommend Ian Bogost's and Nick Montfort's book _Racing
the Beam_ as a really nifty look at the Atari 2600 and its development
culture and techniques.  It's got an analysis of the Pitfall! PRNG room
generation that's really magnificent.

Adam