[astcq-discuss] Re: Life Out There? (long, rambling reply)

  • From: Jean Hollis Weber <jean@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: astcq-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 16:53:25 +0930

The list is definitely still "alive" in the sense that messages get to
subscribers, but it hasn't been particularly active for some time. We did
have more discussions a year or so ago (before Christine joined), but we
don't seem to be a chatty group.

If I recall correctly, we set up this list originally to support the very
informal (and rather small) ASTC group in Queensland. Getting together was
something that some of the original group wanted to do, but the meetings
haven't been well attended, for a variety of reasons.

So one question to list members is, what else (if anything) would you like
from the ASTC-Q? On a couple of occasions I floated the idea of organising
some low-cost short courses by various speakers (since a lot of Queensland
techwriters have difficulty going to anything held in southern cities), but
nothing ever came of it. I'm not complaining, just noting a bit of history.

Do we all have plenty of sources of information and so don't need the list
for that purpose? The only potentially unique thing about this list that I
can think of is specific Queensland news or job postings; most techwriting
questions are probably better dealt with through some other, larger forum.
OTOH, a quiet list can be more useful to those members who want to get
announcements that also appear on busier lists that they don't subscribe
to. Such as this one:

The 2004 Survey of Australian Technical Communicators is still open to all
technical communicators living in Australia (employed or not) or working
for an Australian company but temporarily living overseas as part of their
jobs. This survey is intended to find out the relationship between
experience, qualifications and salaries (or hourly rates) earned by
Australian technical communicators. The questions are the same as for last
year's survey, so we can easily compare the results.

The survey has been extended until the end of August 2004. The more people
who respond, the better picture we'll be able to compile, so please pass
this note on to your colleagues who otherwise may not find out about it.
Nearly 100 people have responded so far, so we're close to the number from
last year, but I'd like to have more people participate.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=46702499257

Cheers, Jean

Christine wrote:
>... I really only remember the list functioning much when people were getting
>together.
>
> > Naomi Kramer wrote:
> > Is this list still functioning, or did it die when the moderator moved
> away?

To search the astcq-discuss archives, visit
//www.freelists.org/archives/astcq-discuss/

To change your settings using the web interface, login at
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi/

astcq-discuss-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx