Re: [artworks] "Press-optimised" ???

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 20:36:36 +0200

In message <4ed8a301ffkell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Kell  <kell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have to supply an ad for a publication called "The Knowledge" and I've
> just got their spec through.
>
> I have to supply the artwork as EPS or "press-optimised" PDF.
>
> ??????????????????????
>
> Mind you, I usually just ignore such specification and send my
> ArtWorks-produced PDF anyway. It's usually accepted without quibble,
> except of course I still have a problem with CMYK as opposed to RGB images.

Why? ArtWorks PDF export supports the full CMYK workflow including
CMYK images. Of course, any photos in JPEG format are not CMYK, but
that is just down to how JPEG works, so this is not a problem.

> But what do you reckon, are PDF's from ArtWorks "Press-optimised"?

Press-optimized basically means that you use CMYK colours throughout
and that all bitmaps have a sufficiently high resolution for printing
(say, 300dpi for full colour). That term refers to option settings in
various applications, e.g., Distiller.

It is mainly used to distinguish it from PDF files that were created
for on-screen viewing, i.e., with RGB colours and bitmaps downsampled
to 96dpi or the like.

So, to sum it up: You can create press-optimized PDF files in
ArtWorks. Just follow the above guidelines.