Re: [artworks] Illustrator export

  • From: John Tytgat <John.Tytgat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 21:26:32 +0200

In message <76f2a6324f.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> you wrote:

> In message <4f32a3d77bkell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Kell  <kell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I have to supply artwork to a new printer, this time their technical specs
> > say:
>
> > "Art Work - Our printer requires Adobe Illustrator (.AI) or Photoshop
> > (.EPS) vector format files..."
>
> > http://www.usbcompany.co.uk/ordering.php
>
> > I didn't know that Photoshop produced vector files ?!?
>
> Even if you just have a single bitmap you can always wrap that in a
> vector file.

These days, Photoshop file format and even its EPS format allows more
than just the bitmap. I don't mean the clippath(s) but it can also have
editable text.

> > Anyway, can anyone please advise whether I will be able to export from
> > ArtWorks as either Illustrator or EPS, and whether <spit> "industry
> > standard" </spit> will load them OK?
>
> You can export as .AI (use "Illustrator 3.0") - you just need to be
> aware of the limitations: Basically, it does Draw paths, and that is
> about it. Text converted to paths, no bitmaps, no transparency,
> graduated fills approximated by shapes, no clipping. Think of it as
> Draw format without text and bitmaps but with CMYK colours.
>
> As for EPS, yes you can export as EPS, but that does not help because
> Photoshop EPS is a very specific kind of EPS. By the way, .AI is an
> EPS format, too, it is also called Illustrator EPS.

Note that the native Illustrator format with extension .ai is in fact a
PDF file (with Illustrator private data embedded). It could be that
the PDF file saved from ArtWorks and renamed with a .ai extension is
enough what Kell's printer requires but note that Illustrator is a bit
picky on the PDF constructs it can deal with.  Lucky enough with each CS
release, those limitations get removed.

> > Or has EPS output been upgraded along with every other part of ArtWorks?
>
> Only ArtWorks EPS, but there is only so much EPS can do anyway (no
> transparency, for instance). I have barely touched any of the other
> filters and they are less and less important.
>
> Your best bet is to export as PDF and have it converted to .AI using
> Illustrator.

I agree.

John.
John.Tytgat@xxxxxxxx                             ARM powered, RISC OS driven