Re: [artworks] Illustrator export

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 13:16:22 +0200

In message <4f32a3d77bkell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Kell  <kell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have to supply artwork to a new printer, this time their technical specs
> say:

> "Art Work - Our printer requires Adobe Illustrator (.AI) or Photoshop
> (.EPS) vector format files..."

> http://www.usbcompany.co.uk/ordering.php

> I didn't know that Photoshop produced vector files ?!?

Even if you just have a single bitmap you can always wrap that in a
vector file.

> Anyway, can anyone please advise whether I will be able to export from
> ArtWorks as either Illustrator or EPS, and whether <spit> "industry
> standard" </spit> will load them OK?

You can export as .AI (use "Illustrator 3.0") - you just need to be
aware of the limitations: Basically, it does Draw paths, and that is
about it. Text converted to paths, no bitmaps, no transparency,
graduated fills approximated by shapes, no clipping. Think of it as
Draw format without text and bitmaps but with CMYK colours.

As for EPS, yes you can export as EPS, but that does not help because
Photoshop EPS is a very specific kind of EPS. By the way, .AI is an
EPS format, too, it is also called Illustrator EPS.

> Or has EPS output been upgraded along with every other part of ArtWorks?

Only ArtWorks EPS, but there is only so much EPS can do anyway (no
transparency, for instance). I have barely touched any of the other
filters and they are less and less important.

Your best bet is to export as PDF and have it converted to .AI using
Illustrator.