[AR] Re: looks like a bad day

  • From: Ed Kelleher <Pres@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 17:00:38 -0400

Ooopsy.

Henry referred to LOX flowing for S2 engine chilldown, not tank pressurization starting. My bad.

Might geysering or rapid boil off cause a tank pressure increase?
Or is there some special venting for that?

Ed Kelleher

At 04:39 PM 06/29/2015, Ed Kelleher wrote:

Maybe it's not as solved as some thought.

As Henry pointed out, the He wasn't static, but starting to pressurize the S2 tanks, possibly flexing the carbon fiber.

Ed Kelleher

At 04:33 PM 06/29/2015, Ben Brockert wrote:
I was more surprised that cryogenic composites are considered a solved
problem, but it's apparently the case. You can see the tanks in the
LOX tank on one of the prior flights, and I worked a bit with a
company that had done cryo composite stuff for SpaceX.