[AR] Re: clusters and reliability (was Re: Re: 3 no 4 no 5 legs.)

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 16:15:47 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 22 Jan 2016, Nels Anderson wrote:

The Saturn V just closed down the offender and carried on, not even making any attempt to adjust guidance etc.; the result could get odd, as witness the rather strange trajectory Apollo 6 ended up following after a double engine failure (!) on the second stage...

I believe that, because of a wiring error, it was actually a good second-stage engine that was deliberately shut down on Apollo 6, while the bad engine went on to fail benignly of its own accord.

As I understand it -- never went digging for the exact details -- the wiring error resulted in both shutting down in response to the shutdown command, because only some of the wiring was misconnected, and there were enough internal interlocks that half a shutdown command :-) sufficed for each. I can check on this later...

Since the failure was a hot-gas leak, I doubt you'd get a benign failure out of it.