[AR] Re: Successful liquid launch at FAR

  • From: Robert Watzlavick <rocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Craig Strudwicke <cstrudwicke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 07:42:36 -0600

The rocket didn't go too high or far so I didn't have any range problems with the primary TM (900 MHz) stream.  I made a PVC support that pointed the TM antennas straight up and that kept lock until the very end of the flight.  The last packet received just a few seconds before landing and it lost the signal since it was essentially perpendicular to the Yagi antenna.  I added an az/el/range display to the ground station and I had intended to have somebody point the antenna at the rocket but with the expected short flight, I just left it pointing vertical.  With the GPS issues, the az/el values might have not been that useful anyway.  Once I re-aimed the antenna downrange, I reacquired the signal.  Paul Breed sent his drone to go look for the rocket and the first set of coordinates I gave him were when the last packet was received but the GPS hadn't completely reacquired lock so the data was garbage. Once I realized that and sent him the new coordinates, he was able to go right to it on his ATV.  I need to look at the TeleMini data again but the TeleDongle didn't seem to want to reacquire the signal after landing, even when I re-aimed the antenna downrange.  I didn't spend any time troubleshooting that since we had solid coordinates for the landing location and he had already found it.

Using 1W for the primary TM was probably overkill.  Since I had bi-directional TM between the ground and rocket, I contemplated starting with 10 or 100 mW, and automatically bumping up the power if the heartbeat from the other end wasn't received.  It seemed simple enough but I didn't want to make a change like that at the last minute.  The reported RSSI at the ground station started at -55 dBm, peaked at -40 dBm after liftoff (because the rocket was directly in line with the ground antenna), then was around -70 to -80 dBm for most of the flight, gradually decreasing with the last packet at  -100 dBm when the rocket descended below the horizon downrange.  It landed just a few seconds later.  I'll add the plot to the data on the website tonight.  The RSSI as received by the rocket generally matched the RSSI reported by the ground station as it was also 1W.

-Bob

On 1/25/22 11:26 PM, Craig Strudwicke wrote:

Fantastic achievement Bob, truly a massive effort over a sustained period to end up with a result you deserve!

Any comments on your telemetry and tracking? I note that you had some concerns about this aspect (which in the end were not needed due to the very civilized recovery).

On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 3:12 PM Robert Watzlavick <rocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I added a complete write up on the launch at:
    http://www.watzlavick.com/robert/rocket/index.html
    <http://www.watzlavick.com/robert/rocket/index.html>

    Here are some more photos, videos, and plots:
    http://www.watzlavick.com/robert/rocket/rocket1/tests/index.html

    On 1/16/22 8:57 AM, Robert Watzlavick wrote:
    > I finally launched my 250 lbf LOX/kerosene rocket yesterday at
    FAR. It got to 10800 ft with a 10 second burn and winds were calm
    so there were no weathercocking issues off the rail. The drogue
    and main deployed as intended and we recovered it about 6000 ft
    down range.  I’ll post more details in a few days but I want to
    thank everyone on this list that has helped me over the years. I
    had a lot of really smart folks help me along the way and I
    appreciate it!