[AR] Re: Space-X escape engines

  • From: Derek Lyons <fairwater@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 14:28:57 -0800

On Nov 13, 2015 2:09 PM, "Chris Jones" <clj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 11/13/2015 4:55 PM, John Dom wrote:

I meant the LEM return to Lunar orbit capsule engine.

-----Original Message----- From: arocket-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:arocket-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Chris Jones

Sorry, I thought you were referring to the earth landing. Obviously,
when lifting off from the lunar surface, the only successful outcome was
to dock with the Apollo CSM and ride the CM portion of that all the way
to splashdown, so it could have turned into a bad day if any remaining
RCS propellants had caused problems during landings (the problems of
concern were the dump harming the parachutes or getting into the crew
compartment, the latter of which happened on the very last Apollo (the
ASTP Apollo)).

Actually both happened - Apollo 15 had a chute damaged by dumped RCS
propellant and it got into the crew compartment on ASTP.

D.