[AR] Re: Solid rocket liners

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 14:17:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 29 Mar 2016, John Dom wrote:

I am still waiting to hear with what & how the SRB internal walls were treated and if a thin liner was used as well in part. I recall a big brush was shown on youtube once with the paiter standing inside. Some black rubber stuff.

The liner is "UF-2137" asbestos-filled CTPB (carboxyl terminated polybutadiene) rubber, according to Jenkins ("Space Shuttle: the History of the National Space Transportation System", Dennis R. Jenkins, 3rd ed., 2002). No details on how it's applied.