[AR] Re: Solder in spaaaaace

  • From: Uwe Klein <uwe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 13:05:56 +0100

David Weinshenker wrote:
Allen Newcomb wrote:

Leaded solder is the only acceptable solder for space.  There is a RoHS
exemption for this.  Unleaded solder WILL grow whiskers in vacuum.

I am not yet convinced that leaded solder isn't (for the most part) the only
acceptable solder for anything I'd be doing - which involves things like hand-
soldering of medium (and sometimes fine) pitch IC's, and doesn't involve things
like manufacturing of consumer goods for sale to the Europeans.

handsoldering with the easily available lead free solders is a pita.
The result tends to look shitty and the final surface is rough.

then, combining RoHS and good solder and coatings/finishing
you may want to "hot wash" the surfaces with the used solder before
soldering them to a pcb. alloy mixing can lead to rather "funny" results

uwe