[AR] Solder in spaaaaace

  • From: Peter Fairbrother <zenadsl6186@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 23:17:43 +0000

I have, reluctantly, decided to change from using tin/lead solder to lead-free.

There seem to be two main types of commercial lead-free solder, one mostly tin with a little copper and about 4% silver, and one without the silver. The bismuth/indium containing alloys are not really readily available.

My question; is either of the main ones better as far as whisker growth, pest etc goes?

Any other suggestions for a general purpose solder which is usable long-term in vacuum?

Thanks,

-- Peter Fairbrother