[AR] Re: Cold Gas Hydrogen Thruster (Re: Roll control...)

  • From: Henry Vanderbilt <hvanderbilt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2018 06:52:40 -0700

Welcome to Classic Space System Errors 101. This one is called, optimizing a design around the wrong parameter. Isp is not the correct sole figure of merit for a RCS system. (If it was, the perfect RCS thruster would be a cluster of laser diodes.)

As others have pointed out, you want (depending on your overall vehicle goals) some balance of the lightest/simplest/cheapest/most-reliable thruster _system_ (including propellant storage) that will provide the thrusts you need for the durations you need on the axes you need.

Henry

On 6/6/2018 8:51 PM, Craig Fink wrote:

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 9:50 PM Jonathan Goff <jongoff@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:jongoff@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Actually, gaseous hydrogen is an awful cold gas propellant because
    while its Isp is decent

"awful", I think a better word would have been "very"
"DECENT", I think a better word would have been "Fantastic"
I'm not even through the first sentence and have found two sign errors. Ahhhh.

The ISP of Hydrogen is more than decent, from 0 K to 0 C, I'm not sure that even the Nobel gases would be better.

Let's list all the propellants with an initial temperature of 0 K and exhaust gas temperature of 0 C sorted by ISP

1.2) Hydrogen  ISP > ?300?
3) Helium
4) ?Neon?
?) Nitrogen