[AR] Re: 500,000 tons per year to GEO (off topic)

  • From: Henry Vanderbilt <hvanderbilt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2014 11:08:03 -0700

Keith,

I too would like to see a future where space resources (including energy) become economically practical for making life better on Earth.

We're trying to get there in very different ways.

You've been pushing this massive centralized predefined technical solution in recent years. I will not discount its potential to provoke rethinking of fundamentals, but practically speaking it looks to me that the only entity that might ever actually implement your plan would be a government - and governments do NOT have a good track record on implementing vast predefined technical solutions.

My approach since the late eighties has been to push for private commercial pursuit of lower-cost launch solutions, with the goal of dropping costs to the tipping point where reduced launch costs start expanding the overall market fast enough that the market begins to drive further cost reductions, driving further market expansion in a virtuous circle, eventually reaching the point where going to space for physical resources simply makes economic sense.

(The industry-conducted Commercial Space Transportation Study (CSTS) defined this point to be somewhere near $600/lb-to-LEO in mid-90's dollars. I tend to assume that with inflation it's closer to ~$1000/lb these days.)

Our plans are aimed at the same place. The difference is that mine seems to be working.

best regards

Henry

On 4/2/2014 9:50 PM, Keith Henson wrote:
For power satellites, it's the cost to GEO that is important, not the
cost to LEO.

But let's consider what a cost of $1000/kg to GEO would do to the cost
of electric power, holding the rest constant.  The transport cost
would go up to $5000/kW, making total cost come in at $6100/kW.  The
power would have to be sold at 7.6 cents per kWh to break even.  The
cost of synthetic oil would be $10/bbl for capital cost and $150/bbl
for energy.  Gasoline would be around $7 per gallon.

If the goal is dollar a gallon gasoline, this won't do it.

Sorry.

Keith

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 8:26 PM, Bill Claybaugh <wclaybaugh2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What Henry said.

Bill

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 2, 2014, at 20:58, Henry Vanderbilt <hvanderbilt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Marsbeyond,

I'd apply several grains of salt there.  SpaceX is close to demonstrating
intact first-stage recovery - I wouldn't bet against it this next flight, given
how well the last couple tests have gone - but intact second-stage recovery is
an even tougher problem that they haven't yet made a visible start on.

Also, even once they get back intact stages, there's a big question of what
kind of shape the stages will be in - how many reliable reflights will be
practical, at what cost for handling and inspection and refurbishment.  You
need to fly your hardware a LOT of times with minimal between-flights hardware
processing costs before you can hope to approach the low three figures payload
cost per pound.

Mind, I've learned to be very careful about betting against SpaceX on their
announced goals.  (Have they actually said they'll do this?)  In any case,
chances are Cheops' Law will prevail - the project will take longer and cost
more than planned.

Me, I'd be very happy if in two years they're close to reusing first stages on
an operational basis.  Given that first stages are probably the majority of an
F9's hardware cost, I'd expect that would give them a good start toward
breaking the $1000/lb barrier, from their current apparent costs in the
neighborhood of $2000+/lb.

$1K/lb to LEO would be revolutionary enough, is my guess.  With inflation,
that's well below the $600/lb the CSTS back in the nineties said should make
cost reductions start expanding the overall launch market fast enough so
overall revenue rises despite dropping prices.  At that point, further cost
reductions pay for themselves and more, and the sky's (no longer) the limit.

Henry

On 4/2/2014 10:49 AM, marsbeyond@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Kieth,

When is Skylon supposed to fly? In less than two years, SpaceX will
be using propulsive recovery to re-use the first stage, second stage,
and capsule, and their cost to LEO will drop to $100 a pound!

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 2, 2014, at 9:27 AM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

http://theenergycollective.com/keith-henson/362181/dollar-gallon-gasoline

$350 million committed so far to the Skylon engines.

Keith