[AR] Re: 500,000 tons per year to GEO (off topic)

  • From: Keith Henson <hkeithhenson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 20:50:40 -0800

For power satellites, it's the cost to GEO that is important, not the
cost to LEO.

But let's consider what a cost of $1000/kg to GEO would do to the cost
of electric power, holding the rest constant.  The transport cost
would go up to $5000/kW, making total cost come in at $6100/kW.  The
power would have to be sold at 7.6 cents per kWh to break even.  The
cost of synthetic oil would be $10/bbl for capital cost and $150/bbl
for energy.  Gasoline would be around $7 per gallon.

If the goal is dollar a gallon gasoline, this won't do it.

Sorry.

Keith