Re: [ARMini-support] Hermes delays. Was: Errors/freezes

  • From: Doug Webb <doug.j.webb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 09:36:28 +0100

In message <5417f37752.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 29 Mar 2012  Doug Webb <doug.j.webb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

>> I now leave the Beagleboard to complete this task which initially
>> doesn't show anything, apart from an apparent freeze of the machine.
>> This apparent freeze can take up to 4-5minutes, depending on the size
>> of the download before normal functionality resumes or a debatch
>> window appears.

> That's the correct way of dealing with it, at least till Alan comes up
> with a fix. I have wondered whether having NetFetch, MPro and NewsDir
> together on the SSD as opposed to the main USB stick would solve this
> problem, but I'm told with authority that this wouldn't make any
> difference.

Well I'd be surprised if it is a bug as I'd be inclined to link it to
the speed of data transfers due to using SCSIFS and USB subsystems.
The same issue afflicts large downloads on RISC PC's and if you do a
speed test on the i/o interface for the Beagleboard/ARMini you will
find it is nowhere near the speed of a Iyonix.

Doug

--
See and experience the future using ARM Technology - BeagleBoard -xM,
Cortex A8 and RISC OS 5.19.