Re: [ARMini-support] Errors/freezes (longish)

  • From: Andrew Pinder <Andrew.Pinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 16:19:22 +0100

In message <cafd9b7552.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 on 24 Mar 2012 Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> This, I think, implicates the little !NewIcons app which is run by
>> default to put the 'nice' icons on the ibar. If you look at the
>> source of this app it runs a function at every pollidle which
>> constructs strings of the form
>>   D$="SCSI::"+STR$N%+".$" and then calls OS_FSControl 37 to convert
>> this to the canonical form. It looks as if it is this that is
>> continually leaking memory.

>> I will check further by
>> (a) allowing the ARMini to continue 'doing nothing' for an hour or so
>> and then see what has been added to the system heap
>> (b) rebooting, and immediately kill the !NewIcons task and see if
>> that eliminates the problem.

> That's very interesting, and the system heap is growing here too.
> Ignorant question: why does NewIcons have to continue running after
> it's created the nice new disc icons? And if not, is there an easy way
> to stop it?

I've just quit !NewIcons via the Task display window.  So far there
are no adverse effects and the icons loaded from its !Sprites file are
still there on the iconbar.

I've also just inserted a USB stick and the icon has come up as per
normal.  So presumably it isn't involved in detecting that.

The version I have is dated 12 April 2011.  SP3 does not contain a
later version.  I guess it's up to RComp to issue an update to stop it
grabbing extra memory or to make it quit after running.

Regards

Andrew
--
Andrew Pinder