Re: [ARMini-support] 4k is here, and very usable

  • From: A Rawnsley <rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 19:42:33 +0100

I have the ARMX6 plumbed through an HDMI splitter to a Benq GW2265 and to
our Sony TV, which is a 3D HD so gives a stunning picture.

Is it 4k or standard 1080p (ie. was it bought for 500+ ukp in last 6
months). If standard 1080p, this won't be of interest. However, if
it is a proper 4k TV, then you should be able to drive that at 4k.

However, you may find that 4k with DPI scaling to an effective 1080p
might be more readable. That's how I'm using the monitor right now.
It gives a *very* lovely display, and you really notice the drop in
quality going back to a "normal" 1080p or 1920x1200 screen afterwards.

For photos, it effectively means you can view large photos without
scaling. Since most cameras generate pictures that are that order of
size (or larger), it means you'll be able to resolve all the detail in
the picture without sacrificing it by scaling it down.

I must admit I haven't yet tried looking at any really large photos,
but that's the next thing I'll try!

It's a shame that !MPlayer struggles with HD movies - it can play them,
but slowly!

There is a version of Mplayer with hardware FP enabled. This can give
smoother HD playback results. We're still some way from getting 1080p
video playback, I'm afraid, but 720p should be within reach.

--
R-Comp
22 Robert Moffat, High Legh, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 6PS