[argyllcms] Re: sample pack paper

  • From: adam k <aak1946@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 12:54:25 -0500

One more question about 3880. Do you have to anything to print B&W?

A Kielcz

On Jan 30, 2013, at 12:49 PM, Alan Goldhammer <agoldhammer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

First to Adam and others interested in the Epson 3880.  I've had mine for 2
years now and it works every time I turn it on.  I sometimes go for a month
or so without printing anything and I never have had a nozzle clog over
this entire period of time.  I'm now on my third set of inks and it's
trouble free.  I don't have any need to print larger than 17 inches wide
and for 17x25 inch, I cut sheets from paper rolls.  I don't think that you
can go wrong with this printer!

Tomasz, use '-g51' in targen to get the B/W steps.  I use an i1 Pro to read
targets.  You are correct that the ABW print driver is calibrated for Epson
inks.  It's easy enough to create ABW profiles which will give you a
slightly better linear response in the midrange tones.  I use Argyll as
follows to generate either a 21 or 51 step B/W gradient:  targen –v –d0 –G
–e1 –s21(51) PrinterA and then read the patches to get the density readings
which can then be put into the QTR script tool to get the profile.

With respect to papers, I use Ilford Gold Fiber Silk and Museo Silver Rag,
both 'glossy' and Canson Rag Photographique and Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Ultra
Smooth (both matte).  I haven't found any other papers that offer a better
performance than these.

Alan