[argyllcms] Re: What colorchart I should buy?

  • From: Konstantin Pyanzin <kokap@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 20:28:29 +0300

Klaus Karcher wrote:

> > IMHO, they are useless for users that have not spectrophotometers
>
> can you explain why you think they are useless?

There are obvious reasons, I think:
1. An X-Rite ColorChecker SG is not supplied with individually measured
reference file.
2. There are several different "general" reference files from X-Rite. With
different values.
3. A user must download a big package (71 MB for ProfileMaker 5.0.10), then
install it only to get one file (39 KB) before using ColorChecker SG. Even a
user doesn't use X-Rite profiling applications.
4. It's a quote from X-Rite: "Depending on use, it is recommended that you
replace your ColorChecker chart every two years to ensure correct color
identification".
Having spectrophotometer a user does not suffer from such limitations.

> > for example, my own ColorChecker SG
> > differs from both reference files. The difference between my
> > ColorChecker SG values (measured by two i1Pro spectros) and the
> > ProfileMaker reference values reaches dE94=3.6; between my
> > ColorChecker SG measured values and the i1Match reference values
> > reaches dE94=3.8
>
> DE94 max I guess. What are the DE94/DE00 avg values?

Yes, you are right, they are max dE94. Avg dE94/dE00 are 0.67/0.61 (for
ProfileMaker) and 1.06/0.91 (for i1 Match).