[argyllcms] Warning: gamut mapping is non monotonic - may be not very smooth

  • From: Michael Schulz <ms.typografik@xxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 11:33:33 +0200

Hi,

this warning appears while I made a device link profile from ProPhotoRGB.icc
to ISOcoated_v2.icc using the gamut of a particular image (collink ­qh ­ke
­cmt ­dpp ­ip ­G ProPhotoRGB.gam imageRGB.tif ISOcoated_v2.icc
DL_ProPhotoRGB-ISOcoated_v2.icc).
This DL produces much better color appearance than normal conversion from
ProPhotoRGB to ISOcoated_v2 in Photoshop but does have slight color banding
in gradients.
Could somebody explain to me the meaning of the warning message and is there
a possible way avoiding color banding when creating DL from a large to a
small gamut.
Please note that I'm not familiar with the special language of mathematical
science neither of computer science.

(I apologize for my english)

Regards, Michael Schulz