[argyllcms] Re: Warning: gamut mapping is non monotonic - may be not very smooth

  • From: Michael Schulz <ms.typografik@xxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 15:31:41 +0200

Hi,

>You'll never get a good result for ProPhoto unless you constrain the
>source gamut - ProPhoto
>has a stupidly large gamut with imaginary primaries, and compressing down
>from
>that will typically give a very bad result.

What is the best way to constrain the source gamut? Desaturating the image
inside Photoshop (dynamic correction), RGB to RGB conversion (ProPhoto to
AdobeRGB, ...)?

>The banding could be because 8 bits in ProPhoto is quantizing the image,
>it could be because the profile has limited precision or was the result
>of noisy data, it could be that the resolution of the device link is too
>low.
>Hard to know without a detailed and length investigation.

The image for the source gamut is in 16 bits. I desaturated the source
image slightly inside Photoshop (dynamic correction) and used -qu for the
device link which eliminates the color banding in the gradients. What
remains is a clipping(?) - small white shine between red leaves and blue
background.

Regards, Michael Schulz