[argyllcms] Re: Some help for an Argyll noob on Mac

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 May 2011 12:20:30 +1000

Simon Burrell wrote:
Ok, this is definitely the part of the process that's confusing me.  I'm
not sure how to use dispread properly as part of the process to create a
profile allowing the broadest gamut possible at my brightness level.  I
understand the dispread concept, but I'm not sure how the .cal file fits
into the process.  In which case, I guess it's dispcal that's confusing me.

"backlight level" in your documentation, which I understand).  The .cal then
tells dispread what my display has been calibrated to, and helps it produce
optimized output?

Hi,
        as explained here <http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/calvschar.html>,
calibration is about adjusting the device, profiling is about measuring
the device. For a display there are generally two means of adjustment,
the display controls, and the graphics card per-channel calibration curves.

If you have a particular calibration target in mind (brightness, white point,
curve response), then it's best to use the tools at your disposal to calibrate.

There are three reasons you may want to adjust display settings and set
calibration targets:

1) You want to change how non-color managed applications appear.
2) You want to change basic behaviour of the display that the profile based
   color management doesn't usually change, such as white point and brightness.
3) You want to improve the behaviour of the device so that the normal profile
based
   color management does a better job of controlling the display.

If you don't want to change the display response, then don't change it.
Move on to profiling. Provide linear.cal to dispread to positively indicate
that you want the calibration curves to be linear.

If I've got all that right, how best to proceed with a display that has no
level controls to adjust?  Is there where DDC would come in?

Only if you want to change the displays response. You would need to locate
some tool that lets you modify the display using DDC though.