[argyllcms] Some help for an Argyll noob on Mac

  • From: Simon Burrell <sirgadabout1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 21:13:11 +0100

Hi,

First, I apologise for asking such a bunch of noobish questions.  However, I
have tried to read the documentation and, though I understand it to some
degree, I'm not entirely sure I'm doing everything correctly.  So, please,
if you can, offer me a little time just to get me going :)

Setup: OS X 10.6.7, Argyll CMS 1.3.2, DTP-94, Apple Cinema Display 23''
(DVI)

All I'm trying to do is create two high-quality ICC profiles - one for
normal, daytime work; one for night work when I dim the screen - using the
method recommended in the documentation.  That is, first create a
shaper/matrix profile with about 500 patches, then use this profile to
create a high-quality LUT-based profile with 2-3000 patches.  But I'm not
entirely sure I'm doing this right.

NB: My "work" is nothing professional, I'm just aiming for colour accuracy
and the broadest colour gamut possible for everyday purposes such as gaming
and web browsing (for that reason I'm hoping to use the native white point
of the display, as I'm informed this should enable the broadest gamut).
 Once I have a handle on how Argyll functions I'll look into calibrating my
ACD, scanner and printer specifically for photo work.

So, I start by creating the patches for the initial Shaper/Matrix profile:

1) targen -v -d3 -f500 -c"Cinema HD.icc" ACD_Shaper

The Cinema HD.icc profile is, I think, the one the OS installs by default
when it recognizes the display, so this should help provide a more efficient
range of patches, right?

Next, I create a .cal file. However, I get confused here.  If I want to
create a high-quality profile from scratch, am I supposed to use the -k
switch to link to the linear.cal file?  If so, where do I find it?
 According to the documentation it's supposed to be in the "ref" folder
included with the binary download, but I can find no linear.cal file there.
 The only .cal file I can find is the strange.cal file.  OTOH, if using the
linear.cal file isn't the best way to perform the next step, what is?

2) dispread -v -yl -K ACD_Shaper

I guess I'll stop there for just now.  Hopefully someone'll be kind enough
to help me along :)

Many thanks,

Simon