[argyllcms] Re: Some help for an Argyll noob on Mac

  • From: Simon Burrell <sirgadabout1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 16:18:15 +0100

On 4 May 2011 03:45, Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Simon Burrell wrote:
> Hi,
>

>  So, I start by creating the patches for the initial Shaper/Matrix profile:
>>
>> 1) targen -v -d3 -f500 -c"Cinema HD.icc" ACD_Shaper
>>
>> The Cinema HD.icc profile is, I think, the one the OS installs by default
>> when it recognizes the display, so this should help provide a more
>> efficient
>> range of patches, right?
>>

> Yes.

Ok, so I've got this bit right.  That's a start :)

>  Next, I create a .cal file. However, I get confused here.  If I want to
>> create a high-quality profile from scratch, am I supposed to use the -k
>> switch to link to the linear.cal file?  If so, where do I find it?
>>

> Sorry about that. I'll fix it in the next release. You can easily
> make one though, simply run:
>
>    synthcal linear

Aha, ok, thank you.  I thought it was just me being blind.  Wouldn't be the
first time.

>   According to the documentation it's supposed to be in the "ref" folder
>> included with the binary download, but I can find no linear.cal file
>> there.
>>  The only .cal file I can find is the strange.cal file.  OTOH, if using
>> the
>> linear.cal file isn't the best way to perform the next step, what is?
>>

> There is a distinction between providing and not providing a calibration
> file as a -k argument in dispread. If no calibration curve is provided to
> -k,
> then there will be no vcgt tag in the resulting profile, and the display
> profile
> loader will behave in a system dependent way. If on the other
> hand you want the display calibration curves set to linear, providing
> -k linear.cal will end up creating a profile that contains a linear
> vcgt tag, and a profile loader will set the display calibration curves
> to linear.
>
> Ok, this is definitely the part of the process that's confusing me.  I'm
not sure how to use dispread properly as part of the process to create a
profile allowing the broadest gamut possible at my brightness level.  I
understand the dispread concept, but I'm not sure how the .cal file fits
into the process.  In which case, I guess it's dispcal that's confusing me.
 It may be because it's supposed to help me adjust my monitor output using
the monitor controls themselves (RGB levels, brightness, contrast etc.) to
achieve a desired output before proceeding to dispread, but in my case
(MacBook Pro display, Apple Cinema Display) I don't appear to have any means
of altering anything except Brightness (which I believe you correct to
"backlight level" in your documentation, which I understand).  The .cal then
tells dispread what my display has been calibrated to, and helps it produce
optimized output?

If I've got all that right, how best to proceed with a display that has no
level controls to adjust?  Is there where DDC would come in?

> Hope this helps,
>        Graeme Gill.
>
> It has!  I just hope you don't mind helping me a little more… :)

Many thanks,

Simon