[argyllcms] Re: Shadow detail problem

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <profiling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 23:09:05 +0000

Hi,

Leonard Evens wrote:

I conjecture that the monitor has a built-in LUT over and above the
> video card LUT, which the monitor controls can make adjustments to,

That's right - the monitor has its own framebuffer and output LUTs which it can use to apply various corrections. Generally, apart from the backlight brightness which can be adjusted without impacting the panel's performance, you want to touch these controls as little as possible. If you have colour-temperature controls it's worthwhile using them to achieve a neutral white-point of the colour-temperature you require, but other than that, leave things set to the factory defaults. Most notably, you don't want to touch any form of contrast control.

> I believe that the newest very expensive LCDs do have separate colored
LEDs to provide illumination instead of a backlight, and they may
function more like CRTs.  I'm sure mine isn't such an LCD.

I think those monitors just use LEDs instead of CCFLs to provide the backlight, but other than that the principles are the same. I'm not 100% sure though.

All the best,
--
Alastair M. Robinson