[argyllcms] Re: Shadow detail problem

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <profiling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 02:04:10 +0000

Hi,

Leonard Evens wrote:

My monitor allows me to make one of three choices for gamma, but it
describes them just as Mode 1, Mode 2, or Mode 3.  Any suggestions about
what I should do to choose one?

Use the Gamma and Black Level chart on this page:
http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html
to estimate the gamma for each of the three settings. Before calibration this will only be an approximate measure.

You could try filling the screen with a greyscale ramp - (just a black-to-white gradient with dithering turned off, if you use GIMP's gradient tool to create one), and see if any of the modes gives any less visible banding than the others? If so, use that one. Check with black -> red, black -> green and black -> blue too if you like.

Which of the three is the "factory" setting? I suspect that will probably be the best choice.

All the best,
--
Alastair M. Robinson