[argyllcms] Re: Scanner RGB Primaries Off the Chart

  • From: Ivan Tsyba <ivantsyba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 00:18:19 +0200

Input devices, such as scanners and cameras, do not have gamut. Gamut
is a characteristic of output devices, such as displays and printers.
For example: your camera can capture every pure spectral color
(stimulus) on single image (if you shot such scene) - virtually camera
have no gamut. To store that image, RGB primaries of it's profile must
be far away from spectral locus (RGB triangle must encompass locus).
In practice, I think, there can be some limitation. Hope, somebody
give you more detailed answer.