[argyllcms] Scanner RGB Primaries Off the Chart

  • From: שחר קלינגר <sklinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 22:30:22 +0200

Hey everyone,

I managed to create my first scanner profile using Argyll, an Epson 10000 XL
scanner and an IT8.7/2 target that was supplied with it. I created a
shaper+matrix profile, and overall, I believe the profile is behaving well.
Something that completely baffles me is the RGB primaries coordinates. I've
opened the resulting profile in ICC's Profile Inspector, and looked at the
coordinates plotted against the xyY horseshoe. The green and the blue are
completely off the chart (Gx:0.265 Gy:0.848; Bx:0.121 By:0.00291). What I don't
understand is how can that be, what does it actually mean regarding the
scanner's response, and how does Argyll get those coordinates from the scanned
TIFF which obviously cannot reproduce these colors?
The color expert that works with me thought this was some kind of bug, but
after I opened the generic scanner profile supplied by Epson that showed
similar coordinates, he couldn't provide an explanation.

Thanks for your help,
Shahar Klinger