[argyllcms] Re: Quality of camera profile - colour banding

  • From: Milan Knížek <knizek.confy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 16:04:24 +0200

Graeme Gill píše v Ne 27. 07. 2008 v 20:21 +1000:

> Milan Knížek wrote:
>
> > The trouble is colour banding at skin tones. It appeared just on very
> > few images, while majority of the photo shooting day was just fine. This
> > banding is not visible with other profiles.
>
> Without the original (non-color converted) image as well as the .ti3
> file, it's not really possible to investigate this in any depth.

I have uploaded a test_pack.zip (16.9 MB) to my site:

http://www.milan-knizek.net/files/tmp/argyll_banding/test_pack.zip

It includes raw image of the IT8.7 target and the test image. TI3 data
and ICC profile are included, too. (The profile was generated from 16b
TIFF, which was deleted from the pack due to its size, only a jpeg copy
is available. In the pack, there is also bash script profile.sh which
shows the steps to create the profile.)

The test image shows less banding when compared to image #2 on the
previously referred html page. I assume it is because the image on that
page was processed with an ICC profile created from a target, to which
denoising and manual cloning actually brought more errors.

Hence by trial and error, I am getting closer to the idea that the
quality of the target is the issue.

Best regards,

Milan Knizek
knizek (dot) confy (at) volny (dot) cz